Biking especially for your young children, is extremely beneficial. A WebMD article did show that exercise, especially moderate exercises like biking, can give better mental abilities and a much more behaved child. That is why getting the best kids mountain bike for your child is an immensely good investment, not only for making your child more interested in healthier hobbies, but also with the many benefits of biking. Just make sure to buy a helmet though.
Getting one of the best kids mountain bikes can be fairly time-consuming due to the very big market place and the many competing brands for market share, but it is a worthwhile activity. It can be even fun if you talk with your little child. Before we talk about what could be the best mountain bike for kids, let us talk about what you need to have in a mountain biker for your little child.
|• An all-rounder, it is one of the most versatile mountain bike for kids|
• Very durable, lasting for a long time
• Easy to assemble
• Quality decals and metallic finish
• Not expensive and is actually very affordable
3.5 out of 5
|• Durable bike which can last for years|
• 6 speed Shinamo gears, making it a super speedy bike
• Cross country, making it suitable for most terrains
• Super saver on the budget
• Linear Pull V brakes, ensuring sudden stops and preventing accidents
3.75 out of 5
|• 2.125” wide knobby, wide tires allowing subtle performance|
• Shimano Revo grip shifter lets one shift gears easily
• Easy assembly
3.75 out of 5
|• 18-speed gearbox, this huge bike boasts high speeds which is greater than any other bike|
• Disc Brakes allows the stoppage of the bike at any given moment
• Shimano gears, allows subtle and smooth transition while changing gears
• Fork Suspensions and shock absorbents
4.0 out of 5
|• Affordable price|
• Brakes and suspension is very fast to act
• Lighter than it looks which helps with speed and control
• Not much assembly required
3.75 out of 5
Table of Contents
Buying Guide: What to look out to get the best mountain bike for kids
First of all, not all mountain bikes are equal. Mountain bikes can be categorized into three types: XC (Cross Country), All Mountain/Terrain and Enduro. XCs are mostly for mixed terrain and are usually the easier ones. It is recommended that if you ask for the best youth mountain bike, chances are you are going to be recommended an XC or cross-country mountain bike. This mountain bike is the easiest type, so for purposes of this article, this is the one that we will recommend. The other two are basically for higher levels so they are not necessary.
The second important thing to know is the material of your mountain bike. In order from the most durable, these are steel, magnesium, aluminum and carbon fibre. Of course, the more durable it is, the more expensive the mountain bike would be. However, it costs should not be the only factor in deciding which mountain bike would do for your child. However, do not worry because still frames are still very durable while also reasonably priced. The carbon fibre and aluminum bike frames are also great and are really more for those who want to enter competitions, but some aluminum bikes are affordable without the quality being unreasonably compromised.
Lastly, you have to think about the comfort of your child. While having brakes, both for the handbrake and the leg break or foot brake, is necessary, most if not all current bikes have them for additional safety already. So, what you are looking for should be what would be most comfortable for your child. Nothing beats going to the bike store and physically holding them, but reading reviews online for the best kids mountain bike will definitely help you make the right decision.
Below is the list of the best mountain bikes for kids in the market today.
Diamondback bicycles, a major brand based in Kent, Washington are mostly considered to be good bicycles, having a high-end design. This new model from Diamondbacks guarantees a ticket to a completely new world for your kids. Bearing an attractive design, it has a beautiful decal sign along with the Diamondback signature. This bike has a strong aluminum frame, allowing it to endure the roughest and toughest of terrains. The six-speed grip shift allows one to do exciting plywood jumps and wheelies.
Front suspensions fork and even out any huge and large humps and bumps, giving the smoothest ride all the way back home. This bike features a 36 spoke 20” aluminum wheels giving it a strong, durable and stable performance. The tires are ideal for all types of terrains and curbs, and last for longer periods and its features boasts about its linear pull alloy emergency brakes. The said emergency breaks allow it to stop swiftly and helps your child in avoiding an accident. Being a feature enriched bike, it offers a lot of stuff.
- Great Frame: The key feature of this mountain bike, is mostly its frame or the body. It features a heavy-duty orange frame, that is able to sustain immense pressure. All mountain bikes are tough, but this one is a lot tougher than the usual bikes. The bottom part is doubled in size than the top giving it stability and centrifugal balance.
- Cool Speed: This may not be one of the light weight bicycles available as can be seen with its weight, but it can still cycle fast. Though it looks heavy from all angles, it does not have anything apart from the heavy frame to make it a slower bike. The 6-speed freewheel allows maintaining the bike at high speeds, even with the weight.
- Aluminum Body: The feature that makes the bike heavy, but also the same feature enabling it to last longer by making it durable and safe, is by using aluminum frames. The body is completely meshed and machine made.
- An all-rounder, it is one of the most versatile mountain bike for kids
- Very durable, lasting for a long time
- Easy to assemble
- Quality decals and metallic finish
- Not expensive and is actually very affordable
- Narrow rear frame, not comfortable for some
- Front suspensions might not be comfort all the time
- Can be heavy
Overall Product Rating (OPR): This product features a lot of great things. Being a quality Diamondback product, it is recognizable enough to guarantee it in the list of best kids mountain bikes available here, but its competitors edge it a little bit due to the weight. We will give this bike 3 and a half stars out of 5.
Again, another Diamondback product. This goes to show why diamondbacks are a great mountain bike brand for kids. These bicycles are always ready for some action, be it neighborhood fun or off-road hikes. The bike comes with linear pull brakes, allowing one to stop quickly and smoothly. The braking is as smooth as not to let anyone fall over, and the suspension forks allows more fun riding over terrains, making the rides over rocks, curbs, and off-roads feel smooth and even.
Boasting a 6-speed Shinamo drive train, with a wide selection of gear, kids are able to stay on their bikes, even while riding hilly terrains, giving them that great moving feeling and riding and adding more fun than ever before. Frame of the bike is again an aluminum frame boasting super strong durability.
- Cross Country (XC): Being a cross country bike, it Is suitable for any and most types of terrains, be it sloppy, rocky, muddy or filled with lots of bumps and curbs. This bike will ensure a safe and sound ride to almost each and every trip of your kids to the mountains.
- Direct Linear Pull (V Brakes): A bike featuring these brakes is almost always guaranteed to bring the bike to a quick and subtle stop, not letting the rider fall off because of the momentum of the bike. Preventing any accidents while riding, and allowing one to have a safe trip for everyone, this is a big plus.
- Shimano 6 speed drivetrain: Giving the bike a high speed to ride with, one may not feel any difference in speeds because of the weight of the bike. Even while looking heavy, one can still ride it with super speeds, and yet be safe and allows one to ride without any worries.
- 6061 heat-treated aluminum frames: A heat-treated frame made for stability and durability of the bike. This ensures the long life of the bike, enabling it to go over for years, without much wear and tear to the bike.
- Durable bike which can last for years
- 6 speed Shinamo gears, making it a super speedy bike
- Cross country, making it suitable for most terrains
- Super saver on the budget
- Linear Pull V brakes, ensuring sudden stops and preventing accidents
- The grips may tear due to sweating
- Not comfortable riding on huge bumps
- Can be heavy
Overall Product Rating (OPR): This product comes out as the runner up in this list. The star rating is a 3.75 stars.
Raleigh, a mountain bike company based in Nottingham, England, is one of the oldest mountain bike company. It is a durable and affordable bike for the young and adventurous riders, and most often can be found unleashing its whole potential for riding on hard and aggressive paths. Known for being the best kids mountain bikes, as well as being perfect for a beginner trail bike for the kids, this lightweight bike with an aluminum frame body is equipped with the linear pull V brakes and 6 speed gear. A really great product.
- Subtle Performance: Even if you go up and down on grassy trails, covered with rocks and pebbles of all sizes, through uneven packed dirt and off-roading, still the bike performs really great in all terrains. This bike is meant to be as the best mountain bike for kids.
- Light, Strong and a great bike: A good price with a nice enough price hike. This bike, still not being so heavy on the expenses, does not fail to deliver the expert and pro level of comfort, performance and durability to the young rider.
- Seat height: A 20” bike should allow a kid to have a seat height of about 3” to 4” above the inseam. With a good seat height range of 25”-29.9” allowing a kid to touch the road with his tip toes while sitting on the bike, technically putting an inseam height of the kid at 21.2”-25.9”
- 2.125” wide knobby, wide tires allowing subtle performance
- Shimano Revo grip shifter lets one shift gears easily
- Easy assembly
- Brakes can be hard at sometimes, delaying the bike from stopping
- Does not come with a kickstand
Overall Product Rating (OPR): This product and was easily able to grab 3.75 stars from us. It is not pricy but not cheap either.
Bavel is a brand of bicycles manufactured by Merida Bikes International. These Sporty bikes sports numerous luxurious features, as well as an 18-speed gear shift box for huge speed boosts. The disc brakes allow your kids to do a sudden stop of the bike instantly.
Boasting full frontal fork shock absorbents and a sturdy aluminum shoulder frame, this big sturdy product is the best mountain bike available on this list. This product packs a huge number of features while still not being too expensive on the pockets. One can easily ride this bike and can be assured of safety with the gears providing great speeds, and the disc brakes providing it the subtlety but quick instant stops.
- 18-speed gearbox: Boasting a huge 18-speed gearbox for a rider, this monster give you a chance to ride the winds with the speed it goes with. In addition, combining it with the power of Shimano gear which easily gives its changing gears a smooth transition, you can have a fun and thrilling but safe ride.
- Shimano Shifter & Shimano derailleur: The shifting of gears takes place through the use of Shimano technology, the best available in the market out there for MTBs. This shifter allows smooth transitions in gear change and without any bumps during the changes.
- Disc Brakes: Everybody knows how important disc brakes are for a racer, be it racing bikes or racing cars. Disc brakes are essential for vehicles with speed. Thus, this bike gives user the experience of riding a bike at huge speeds without the danger of brakes not stopping due to momentum. These disc brakes ensures the bike stops at the right moment without any momentum friction.
- Frame: 20” heated aluminum frame, giving the bike a longer durability and the frame a long and lasting life. This beast can survive in the harshest of the climates without any damage to the frame.
- 18-speed gearbox, this huge bike boasts high speeds which is greater than any other bike
- Disc Brakes allows the stoppage of the bike at any given moment as smooth and subtle, but still quick
- Shimano gears, allows subtle and smooth transition while changing gears, without damaging the chain much
- Fork Suspensions and shock absorbents are able to absorb most of the shocks while riding this bike
- Not exactly the most pleasing to the eyes
- Heavy bike which makes kids unable to carry it easily
Overall Product Rating (OPR): This bike comes at the topmost, along with grasping the hearts of people. Being the monster of bikes here, grabbing a star rating of 4.0 stars.
Kent is another reputable bike manufacturer. This bike has wheels that measures 20 inches, giving it a great flow. It also has a 7-speed gearing with grips that can twist and shift, allowing you better speed and control.
7-speed gearing: allows the bike to cycle very fast while being durable enough to handle both the weight of your kid without slowing down momentum. Perfect for riding and feeling the fresh air.
Dual suspension steel frame: This is actually lighter than it looks due to the steel frame. It is also very durable while being affordable, since it is made of steel with high quality.
Front suspension fork: The suspension mechanism here is very good. It makes control of the bike easier.
- Affordable price
- Brakes and suspension is very fast to act
- Lighter than it looks which helps with speed and control
- Not much assembly required
- Not as comfortable as other bikes
- Not as fast as other bikes
Overall Product Rating (OPR): This bike is reasonably priced. It has no really glaring flaws, but no great strengths either. We give it 3.75 stars.